BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Living the Cross Centered Life

Oh, My. Where do I even start with this book? For starters, this book really helps to explain how much the cross should be at the center of our life. Not the tangible object, but Jesus's death on the cross, and his intense sacrifice for us. Paul says in the scriptures: Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you...for I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: That Christ died for our sins.This is the essential thing about our lives, what we should be passionate about. Because we are sinners, the only thing that saved us from eternal hell is the magnificent death on the cross, and we need to realize just how powerful this was. I have to admit, my thoughts on this have been changed, in that I now realize just how much Christ scarified for us. And that there was only 1 man who could save us. C.J. Mahaney puts forth that the one verse that sums up the entire bible comes from Paul's first letter to Timothy: "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time."

The most powerful part of this book was how it expresses how much we were at fault for Jesus's death on the cross as well. The book states that "only those who are truly aware of their sin can truly cherish grace." This is so true in so many different ways. He clarifies that his purpose isn't to point out sin, only to help us to embrace grace fully. And that God is present in all our suffering.

There's one chapter, though, that really stood out to me. Breaking the Rules of Legalism. Thomas Schreiner shares a quote in there where he says "legalism has its origin in self-worship. If people are justified through their obedience to the law, then they merit praise, honor and glory. Legalism, in other words, means the glory goes to people rather than God." I don't know about you, but there are many times when it's easy for me to self-worship. I can be prideful, whether it's in a good grade in math, discussions in politics, or simply the fact that I was homeschooled. I thus ask that if anyone notices this in me, that they continue to help me to overcome this sin...it's a constant struggle. This chapter also clarifies the difference between Justification and Sanctification, which I think are much needed definitions. God doesn't want us to continue to grow simply so we can impress our friends in our knowledge; He desires for us to worship, read our Bible, and pray because it is pleasing to him.

This book has greatly changed the way I think, and I would recommend anyone who hasn't read it go pick up a copy of it. You'll be thinking a lot differently after reading it.

1 comments:

Michelle Bradburn said...

Yes, this is an excelent book....one chapter that stood out especially to me was "The Divine Order", talking about "what we feel vs. what is real". Really challenging and uplifting at the same time.......kinda like what Tenth Avenue North said last night:

"It's not how much faith you have, it's Who your faith is in."

How amazing, that no matter how much our heart and feelings change day to day (I know mine does) God never changes. A great reminder to keep our eyes on Christ!

Thanks for these reviews!! I'm very excited about this blog, as I've been trying to read more myself.....this is very inspiring:)

It was wonderful to see you last night, btw! amazing concert.