BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Intro to this blog/Stepping Heavenward

I decided to go through my old journals and notebooks about a week ago to see what I could discover, since it had been a while since I looked them over. In the middle of one that I had back during my sophomore year in highschool, which was 4 years ago, I found a list. I think I had been inspired by Walk to Remember, and it was a list of life goals. About halfway down, there was one that made me think. It said "read 1000 books in a year." Well, I decided that for this "blogging project" of mine, I would read 365 books in a year, since that seems a TAD bit more realistic than 1000. Thus this project has begun. I can't guarantee I'll be able to post an entry every day, and since a few books are part of a series Ill post on the whole thing, but this is my experiment.

The first book I read was Stepping Heavenward. I had read the book years ago, and can remember enjoying the read, but not getting much out of it. Per my dear friend Abigail's suggestion, I picked it up again. Wow, I have to say i was inspired after reading it. I'm not going to give away the whole story, but it's a novel written in a journal form. The style of the book makes it an easy read, yet it also doesn't lose any lessons. In fact, it's encouraged me to get more serious about my blogging and journaling. Also, I've learned that no one is ever perfect, and neither is any relationship. I can only hope that I have the relationship with God that Katherine has by the end of the book when I am her age. She goes through so many different struggles, but at the end she learns to cast her cares on God. I desire that type of relationship with my Savior.

3 comments:

Abigail said...

I look forward to reading all these reviews!! Great idea!!

an encourager said...

This is one of my all-time favorite books I'm glad you liked it. I have an old 1897 copy; very special.

Michelle Bradburn said...

love this book!!

It's been awhile since I read it but each time I do I'm really challenged, like you said, and long to love Jesus more.

I think the hymn Elizabeth Prentis wrote sums up the prayer of Katherine's life, and the whole flavor of the book:


"More love to Thee, O Christ, more love to Thee!
Hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee.
This is my earnest plea: More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest;
Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best.
This all my prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Let sorrow do its work, come grief or pain;
Sweet are Thy messengers, sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me: More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Then shall my latest breath whisper Thy praise;
This be the parting cry my heart shall raise;
This still its prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!